Effective Communication Techniques for Health Care Professionals
Course Author: Brian Hughes, BCC
All health care professionals and providers need demonstrated proficiency in various aspects of communication. This course, Effective Communication Techniques for Health Care Professionals, will review listening skills and methods, effective verbal and non-verbal practices, group communication, conflict resolution, negotiation, and goal clarification in order to provide the learner with effective tools for their daily use.
By the end of this course the learner will be able to:
- Recognize effective listening habits and skills and a systematic method of listening behavior
- Define and describe effective verbal communication practices and skills
- Define and describe effected non-verbal communication practices and skills
- Identify the principles of effective group communication and various roles and norms in a group communication process
- Identify conflict resolution strategies and develop a personal, constructive approach to dealing with conflict situations
- Explain and describe the concept of negotiation when working with patients, families, and staff
- Summarize steps involved in communication to enhance goal clarification.
- Introduction to Communication
- Communication and Miscommunication Concepts
- Understand effective listening habits and skills and a systematic method of listening behavior
- Nonverbal Communication
- Group Communication
- Conflict Resolution & Negotiation
- Communication to enhance goal clarification
Number of Continuing Education Hours for Spiritual Care for Nurses: 20
Continuing Nursing Education contact hours are provided in partnership with the Westberg Institute. The Spiritual Care Association Nursing Division is accredited as a provider of nursing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
Number of Continuing Education Hours for Spiritual Care for Social Workers: TBA
This activity is pending approval from the National Association of Social Workers
Number of Continuing Education Hours: 20