Benefits of Membership
- Belong to a supportive professional community that welcomes both novice and seasoned health care chaplains.
- Access to current best-practice standards of spiritual care for those of all faiths and no faith preference. Be notified of new research publications related to spiritual care.
- Discounted price for online professional educational courses.
- Unlimited free Spiritual Care Grand Rounds with CEU credit.
- Discounted registration for the Annual Caring for the Human Spirit® Conference
- Free electronic subscription to the Journal of HealthCare Chaplaincy
- Free Spiritual Care Tips emailed to you.
- Free access to over 15 years of PlainViews® articles and archives.
- Membership directory and networking opportunities
- Opportunities to present at a national level and/or publish an article or be featured in our various publications.
- Up to 10% tuition discount at Capstone University.
How to Join?
Education and Training Programs
Chaplain Credentialing (CC): A Credentialed Chaplain (CC) has demonstrated the competencies to perform normal chaplaincy tasks in non-complex settings and under the supervision of a Board Certified Chaplain (BCC). Click here to learn more.
Board Certified Chaplain (BCC): A Board Certified Chaplain has demonstrated competence to perform all of the normal tasks within the scope of practice of professional chaplains. Click here to learn more.
Advanced Practice Board Certified Chaplain (APBCC): For Chaplains who have demonstrated advanced skills in the provision of and leadership in spiritual and chaplaincy care by successfully completing a standardized test of core knowledge derived from evidence-based quality indicators for spiritual care as well as a simulated patient exam that evaluates competency in direct patient care. Advanced Practice Board Certified Chaplains (APBCC) have been trained and tested in standardized curriculum based on the latest evidence in areas including department management, HIPAA regulations, the assessment, diagnosis, and treatment of spiritual distress, cultural competency, advance care directives, patient clinical care, staff support, grief, and bereavement among other essential topics. Click here to learn more.
Chaplaincy Management Training
SCA’s Chaplaincy Management Training Program is designed to provide directors and aspiring directors the tools and training needed to provide successful leadership to support their staff and provide quality spiritual care to patients, family, and staff. This 4-month program, guided by experts in the field, provides a number of opportunities for interactions with the facilitators and fellow participants, creating a life-long network of peers and friends. Successful candidates will receive the Chaplaincy Management Certificate. Click here to learn more.
Online Learning Center
SCA’s Online Learning Center a variety of courses that are based on the standardized, evidence-based scope of practice and evidence-based quality indicators developed by interdisciplinary panels of experts from the fields of chaplaincy, medicine, nursing, psychotherapy, palliative care, social work, research and policy in the U.S. and overseas. Click here to view the online catalogue. SCA members receive special pricing.