Counseling Skills for Healthcare Professionals
Course Author: Denise Hess, BCC
By the end of this course the learner will be able to:
- Describe the difference between chaplaincy/pastoral counseling and secular counseling.
- Describe the process of short-term counseling appropriate in the health care setting and methods of application.
- Define appropriate supportive responses to traumatic events so that persons can manage the situation and respond appropriately.
- Demonstrate understanding of family systems theory.
- Demonstrate understanding of grief and bereavement theories and their application, including anticipatory, acute, and traumatic grief.
- Introduction to Counseling Skills
- Providing Person-Centered Care
- Brief Therapy: Solution Focused Counseling
- Responding to Traumatic Events: Psychological First Aid
- Caring for the Family System: Bowen Multigenerational Theory
- Family Systems Theory
- Companioning the Grieving: Theory and Practice of Grief Support